Home / Top 5

Top 5. Techniques to Motivate Your Employees


Top5

 

1 Set Clear Targets and Expectations and Measure Performance
Imagine you are playing football for the first time but no one explains the rules or objectives of the game. You want to play well, but you have no chance to succeed. How long would you stay motivated? People can give their best, but if they don’t know what is expected of them, or when they have excelled, they can lose motivation. Make sure you communicate specific targets, goals and expectations, and when people impress, let them know.

2 Make Jobs Meaningful
People like to feel that their work is valuable. Even the simplest, smallest jobs can provide motivation if leaders explain exactly how important each task is to the organisation. A good leader will also enable the team to learn new techniques and add new activities to help expand tools and talents.

3 Give Direct and Supportive Feedback
Feedback, both positive and performance improving, is key to maintaining motivation. It can bring out the full potential of your staff. Your feedback should be timely, specific and presented in such a way that the individual clearly understands their strengths and successes, and what they need to improve.

4 Design roles to Maximise Individual Strengths
Research and experience shows that people who are required to use their strengths on a regular basis while at work are more likely to contribute to the team and perform at higher levels: They feel effective, focused and fulfilled.

Enable Input and Choice in How Work Gets Done
95% of people want to do a good job, want to feel proud of what they do, and want to have good relationships within their team. Unfortunately, many managers focus on the other 5%, implementing rules to restrict and monitor them. This can demotivate the 95% who are striving to do their best. Give your employees the freedom, to a certain point, to decide how to go about their work. This way they will increase their performance, and you might learn new methods, too.

 


Illustration by Cedrick Ragel